Thursday, May 7, 2009

Vegan Donuts!

Instead of cake for my birthday, I wanted donuts. So I got them. What, I mean it is MY birthday right? These are the best damn donuts of all time. so amazing. Super easy to make too. Basically a milk and fat enriched yeast dough that is deep fried then covered with icing or sugar, and filled with pastry creme or jelly or a hole I guess. All I know is that there is little in this world of sugary delights that is as satisfying as a freshly made doughnut.


Deep fried love.

I think this is what is meant by Christ has risen.

Filling, resting, eating, powderedsugar-ing, simultaneously.

We used that chopstick alot.

The first one done and ready for its photo shoot.

Heavenly.

Up close and personal.

Confetti fun.

We got the whole gang together.

Sprinkles make me happy

Oops! I ate one (dozen).

Boston cream in your face

The whole assortment

I cant get enough sprinkles in this weird exposure

Untitled

The outfit.

Vegan Yeast Doughnuts

base dough

4 cups white whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting
1 pkg instant dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup Earth balance melted
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup warm soymilk
3 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 4 tbsp warm water

Mix all ingredients to from a dough. Knead for about 8 minutes. Form into a ball and let rise for about 1.5 hours. After this, form small pieces of dough into donut shapes ( with holes and without) Place on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper, and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for about an hour before frying in 375F canola oil. You need a decent amount of oil, depending on the size of your pot (around 4 cups) , and I recommend using a thermometer to check oil temperature.

After you fry for about 2 minutes per side, the doughnuts should puff up and be golden brown, place on a paper towel to drain. Cover with your favorite frostings, sprinkles, or glaze them in vanilla icing. We made boston creme, jelly filled, and glazed doughnuts with sprinkles.

2 comments:

  1. hahah i still can't believe you ate all of them. and that we were dumb and didn't put them in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete