Friday, November 6, 2009

Vegan Gyros and Tatziki Sauce

After getting caught in the whirlwind of school, work, reading and all things other than posting on this blog I am back again. I am posting the meal we had tonight because it was real good. I made a simple simmered seitan recipe for the gyro and some tatziki sauce to add a cool creamy element to the sandwich. It tasted even better than how I remembered it at the good ole greasy fast food restaurant I went to so many times as a kid. Some crinkle cut potato wedges completed the meal in a good fried food fashion.



Vegan Gyros

1 batch seitan, thinly sliced
chopped onions
good amount of Greek seasoning (oregano, sumac, basil, thyme, etc)
splash tamari
2 pitas, with pockets
chopped romaine 
chopped tomatoes

Get a pan on over med high heat. Add some olive oil and fry up the seitan and onions to get them a little crispy and brown. After 5-10 minutes season with the Greek seasoning, then splash with tamari.  Throw the seitan in the toasted pita pile high with lettuce and tomatoes and serve with vegan tatziki.

Tatziki (cucumber sauce)

1 box silken tofu
1 med cucumber, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 lemon,  juice it 
1/4 cup canola oil or olive oil
2 tsps salt
black pepper


Throw everything except a little bit of the chopped cucumber into the food processor then add the chopped cucumber for some texture. Transfer to the fridge to let the flavors meld.


1 comment:

  1. I love gyros. I need to make a seitan loaf like you did when I visited. I love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete