Saturday, January 24, 2009

Food for a Freezing Night











Today was a lazy day spent reading and watching TV because it was 8 degrees outside! I took advantage of this time at home and made some seitan.

2 cups gluten flour

1 cup no-chicken broth

tablespoons of onion and garlic powder

tablespoon salt

2 tablespoons soy sauce

Combine all dry ingredients. Add broth to make a dough. Form into a log and cut into large chunks. Boil 4 cups water and add the soy sauce. Put the chunks of seitan in their bath. Simmer on low for about 30-45 mins until the seitan expands and becomes firm. I keep my seitan in the fridge in some of the broth.


Mashed Potatoes, Sauteed Broccoli with Lemon-Dill Seitan

and Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Sauteed Broccoli and BBQ Seitan


1 head broccoli

3 red potatoes

1 sweet potato

2 chunks seitan

fav. BBQ sauce

juice of 1 lemon

smilk

dill, salt, pepper

I made 2 different dishes because my lady loves red potatoes and I love sweet potatoes. You could put any kind of sauce you like on the seitan and I just chose our faves. Dice potatoes and boil in salted water until fork-tender. Mash with a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of smilk. Steam broccoli. Slice seitan thinly and cook in pan with a little bit of olive oil. Season seitan with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with lemon juice and dill when it had browned on both sides. Do again with more seitan but add BBQ sauce at the end. I need ranch with BBQ seitan, I mixed 1 part sour cream and 1 part mayo, added lemon juice, dill, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. To serve I put the potatoes on the bottom and topped with the broccoli and seitan and added extra sauce if needed.




My girlfriend also made apple pie today!

We used the recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking but just used whole wheat flour and agave instead of the flour and sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment