Saturday, October 10, 2009

Bacon, baked tofu, and avocado sandwich



Tonight I tried once again to replicate the ever so difficult flavor and texture of bacon. I felt like I nailed the flavor with a good bit of liquid smoke and salt, but the texture is something that is just so hard to get right. Granted it has been a long time since I have eaten bacon from a pig (been vegan for almost 5 years now woo woo!) and any opinion of mine on the relative similarities of seitan to meat dead animal products is no good anyways.  However, I really enjoyed the smoky flavor and crisp texture of my seitan bacon. I will post the recipe once I get it down right. I served the sandwich with some sauteed young portabella mushrooms, following Isa's recipe on the PPK blog , inside a lettuce cup topped with a little Romesco sauce. It was really good except I wish I had some chantrelles to use instead.

Bacon, Baked Tofu, & Avocadonaise Sandwich

a few strips fakin bacon
1 pkg tofu, pressed and sliced into 8 rectangles
3 tbsp tamari or more
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced
thyme, black pepper

1 avocado, smashed up with a touch of lemon juice
1/4 cup vegenaise
salt, pepper

lettuce, tomato, other veggies

For the bacon, just brown it up in a bit of oil and set aside. For the baked tofu, I start by browning both sides in the pan, then just before its done I splash all the pieces with tamari and a bit of lemon juice and garlic then put it in the 400F oven for about 15 minutes.For the avocadonaise just mash up all the ingredients with a fork to leave a bit of texture to the spread. Adjust seasonings to taste.





                                 This is why I cannot get any studying done!

1 comment:

  1. HA! I love Oliver. The avocadonaise looks delish...gonna try that soon.

    ReplyDelete