Thursday, October 15, 2009

Crepes, done up savory

Tonight I tried my hand at making crepes for the first time ever. My grandma used to make me mounds and mounds of crepes she called polachinki. I could not control my excitement while I was making these and ate probably 100 of them as soon as they got out of the pan. By the time dinner was ready I was already full, but I still ate the entire plate and licked it clean. I used a recipe by Bryanna Clark Grogan which she promises offers the eggy texture of non-vegan crepes which I must say she achieved with great success. I modified it only a bit by using whole wheat white flour and agave nectar for the sugar. Its quick to make and really offers up a great canvas for a number of creative dishes. The recipe can be found here, no resting time needed.



After whipping up a batch of the crepes I decided to make a savory meal out of them.  I took some super creamy mashed potatoes, and then fried up some onions, leeks, and spinach to fill them with. The sauce is a spinach bechamel which is easier than it sounds. The tofu is just browned in a pan and splashed with tamari and liquid smoke (still waiting to get a smoker of my own).  The whole dish is sprinkled with fried onions.



 

Spinach Bechamel

2 tbsp Earth balance
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion
3 cloves garlic
4 tbsp flour
1 cup soymilk
2 cups spinach

salt 
pepper

Saute the onion and garlic in the butter and olive oil. Get it translucent and then add the flour. Mix it up well and cook for about 1 minute. Add the spinach and soymilk. Stir constantly until the sauce thickens. Throw in the leftover 1/2 cup silken tofu from the crepe recipe (optional). Puree the sauce until it gets really smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over anything you want, especially with savory stuffed crepes.


Make crepes, I  double dare you. You will be happy you did.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh yummy yummy. I'm not really a fan of savourty crepes but to be fair I've never tried vegan ones so I really should give these a go. They look super scrummy.

    ReplyDelete